Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Share & Voice: "Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (S.3307) Awaits Obama's Signature


Yesterday I found an article on one of my friends facebook pages talking about this new bill that is awaiting Obama's signature to be passed. It's called "Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (S. 3307) Awaits Obama's Signature". The bill was passed last week by the House of Representatives and had already been passed by the Senate in August. It was presented to the president yesterday for his signature. The bill has a big part in providing free or reduced meals to students who are in financial need. It also is providing school with grants and technical assistance to improve access to local and healthy foods.

I think this is a great idea for a bill and am glad that this is finally getting some much needed, positive attention. This is the right direction for school's helping kids who's families are unable to afford healthy meals for them. Teaching kids how to eat right and providing them with the right tools is a great step in the right direction!

6 comments:

  1. I agree, school is the place where many children eat at least one if not two meals per day. They should have better guidelines and better foods to offer the children. This way they are learning the right foods to eat and which to avoid to keep healthy. I hope Obama signs to approve this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great one (cute name too). Like you stated, they have taken initiative in teaching children how to eat right and provide them with a base that they can grow on, rather than right vs wrong, bad vs good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! I remember being in elementary school and Junior high and having unhealthy options offered left and right. It's such a shame that people who are less-fortunate have to eat unhealthy options because they can't afford anything better. This is where obesity plays a huge part, and this bill should hopefully start a new way of looking at things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that a bill like this has reached the President! I'm sure that it takes a long time for the process to get that far. I think that this bill will not only help get the right food into children's hands, but it may also help them realize what the right choices are! I feel like so many kids eat what they are given, but do not learn how to make the right choices. I'm crossing my fingers that this passes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what Obama is doing, it sure is a liberal thing to do. We had rules at my school towards the end like my junior and senior years, about shutting off the pop-machines during non-lunch hours and same went for the snack vending machines. I remember kids and parents complaining because their kid "got hungry" during the day. The only thing that's offered in those are candy bars and sugar! That doesn't really satisfy hunger at least not for more than 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great bill! I like that we are promoting a healthier school lunch program for kids in school. It is so important that the healthy eating/lifestyle habits start while you are young and what better way to do it than at school! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete